LIFESTYLE AND HOME REMEDIES
To reduce or prevent bad breath:
- Brush your teeth and gum after you eat.
- Brush your tongue. Your tongue harbors bacteria, so carefully brushing it may reduce odors.
- Rinse mouth after every meal.
- Gargle with mint mouthwash.
- Avoid dry mouth. To keep your mouth moist, avoid tobacco & drink plenty of water (not coffee, soft drinks). Note: bad breath during fasting is normal Miswak can be useful.
- Adjust your diet. Avoid food such as onions and garlic that can cause bad breath. Eating a lot of sugary food is also linked with bad breath.
- Eat some parsley, cloves, fennel, or anise
HOW TO TEST YOUR BREATH
- Cup your hands and breathe deeply into them; smell the result
- Pull dental floss between your teeth; smell floss afterwards
Causes of bad breath: Onion, garlic, hot peppers, cheese, other dairy products, fish, seafood, coffee.
Serious sources of bad breath: Poor diet, cancer, tuberculosis, gastrointestinal disorders; dehydration, drug side effects, dental problems