The Rheumatology and Rehabilitation Unit at Dr. Erfan &Bagedo Hospital was established more than 30 years ago.
The unit has expanded over the years to offer very distinct and professional services to patients coming from different provinces of the Kingdom, as well as the Gulf Area.
The unit is located in building 3 in the southern hospital wing.
The Unit is formed of the following Subunits:
- Rheumatology Subunit with its out and inpatient service: There are 2 rheumatology outpatient clinics that work 6 days / week from 9: am to1: pm and 5: pm to 9:00 pm. This subunit serves patients suffering from different inflammatory arthropathies, regional anatomical pain syndromes, and different connective tissue diseases, acute and chronic spinal problems. Special tests and procedures are performed regularly including arthrocentesis and therapeutic local injections.
- Metabolic Bone Disease subunit: This subunit serves patients suffering from osteoporosis with its variant causes
- Osteomalasia, Paget’s disease of bone as well as other relatively uncommon metabolic bone diseases. The subunit offers measurement of bone densitometry by the most up to date version of DXA Machine (Lunar Prodigy Primo) known for its high precision. Also, Bone remodeling markers of bone formation and resumption are done in the general laboratory.
- Sport Injuries Subunit: This subunit serves patients suffering from different spot injuries ranging from simple strain to complicated conditions (Post ACL Reconstruction). The subunit is run by highly trained staff to evaluate this subgroup of patients and to recommend their treatment program, applying special protocols for each condition, using the most updated modalities so these patients can resume back their normal activities as soon as possible.
- Physical Therapy Subunit: This highly sophisticated subunit is equipped with most modern equipment and is run by highly trained staff.
- It offers its service to the different hospital departments either in outpatient or inpatient basis. The service of this subunit covers the Neurology, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, ICU, Pulmonology, Orthopedic, Pediatric and Gynecology & Obstetrics Departments.
This subunit is composed of the following areas:
A. Separate halls for male and female patients attending the outpatient clinics where they receive different kinds of physiotherapy modalities:
- Short wave
- Electrical stimulation (different types)
- Moist heat application
- Cold application
- Paraffin wax bath
- laser Therapy
- Traction (lumbar& cervical)
- Tilt table (adult & children)
- Stability (test & training)
- CPM (knee & shoulder &hand)
- Therapeutic Exercises
B. Hydrotherapy Unit.
C. Two Gymnasium halls one for male and one for female
D. Rehabilitation subunit for patient with chronic disabilities. The treatment program is tailored according to patient’s condition needs.
The Rheumatology & Rehabilitation Unit is backed up by very competent laboratory and radiology departments with highly trained staff which helps in the diagnosis of different medical conditions.
The unit organizes a scientific meeting every Tuesday from 8:30 am to 9:30 am which is CME approved. It also organizes an annual national symposium.
The Unit is headed by Dr. Atef A. Mahmoud, MD, FRCP &his Deputy is Dr. Yasser Emad MD .Who is in Charge of physical Medicine and rehabilitation Subunits.
Metabolic Bone Unit
It was established 15 years ago for the diagnosis and treatment of different metabolic bone diseases especiallyOsteoporosis (Osteoporosis is a disease of bone in which the bone mineral density (BMD) is reduced) andOsteomalacia (Osteomalacia is a softening of the bones). At the division there is a new version of bone densitometry (which is an advanced form of bone X-Ray),machine Norland XR-26 DXA known for its high accuracy at measuring bone densitometry in 20 minutes in lumber spine and hips.
This unit can calculate approximately the biochemical bone sign of bone formation and breakdown.
The unit is run by Dr. Atef Mahmoud, MD FRCP, consultant Rheumatologist, together with a high specialized and trained team of technicians and nurses.
Rheumatology (Rheumatologist mainly deal with problems involving the joints and the common conditions of connective tissues.), Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation are some of the most important branches in the field of modern medicine. Therefore, the hospital is giving it a special attention and it is under nonstop improvement. The hospital is always supplying the department the newest technology and equipment to maintain the standards.
The department is headed by Dr. Atef Mahmoud and his assistant Dr. Yasser Emad. Dr. Yasser is in-charge of the Rehabilitation center. The department is divided further into two divisions, one for male and one for female running under highly qualified and trained physiotherapists. A hydrotherapy unit (It involves the use of water for soothing pains and treating diseases.) and gymnasium unit is also provided for both males and females.
The department receives medicine appointment from different departments in the hospitals including the Orthopedic Department for cases of fractures, as well as post joint replacement.
It also accepts cases from the Neurology Department, as well as the Neurosurgery Department for spinal, as well as brain surgeries.
The transfer from the General Medicine, Pediatric, General Surgery, Pulmonology, as well as Gynecology and Obstetric Departments are regularly looked after in the Department.
We Regularly update our equipment to the most up-dates versions and the department has outpatient unit for laser therapy.
We make sure, at metabolic bone unit that every case is treated with high priority and is given full attention