- The Jeddah Heart Institute is actively involved in multitude of activities including department’s weekly scientific meeting under CME program; local; regional and international scientific activities and has contributed several original abstracts and papers.
- The Jeddah Heart Institute sponsors many teaching and scientific events on regular basis. In October 1999 The First Jeddah Cardiovascular Intervention (JCI) Symposium took place in the hospital. The first such meeting in the Western Province of the Kingdom. The JCI is an international event that brings together a number of national and international guest speakers from all over the world with live case discussions through an audiovisual link the hospital Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory.
- The Jeddah Cardiovascular imaging Intervention JCI symposium has been an annual event since 1999. Attendees experience an unmatched educational opportunity and acquire Continuous Medical Education credit hours related to state-of-the-art updates in cardiac imaging & interventions.
- Yearly Jeddah Cardiac Imaging and Cardiovascular Intervention symposium.
Jeddah Heart Institute Clinics
From this page you could access the direction maps to our Cardiology clinics: including five adult cardiology clinics; one Pediatric Cardiology clinic and one Cardiothoracic Surgery clinic.
Adult Cardiology Clinic.
Pediatric Cardiology Clinic.
Cardiothoracic Surgery Clinic.
Vascular Surgery clinic.
Cardiac Non Invasive Unit
A state-of-the-art Echocardiography and Electro cardiography-based cardiac applications unit. Well-renowned since 1984 for its pioneering role in introducing several cardiac diagnostic modalities to the Kingdom including Dobutamine Stress Echocardiography ( DSE) in 1994; Ambulatory Blood pressure Monitoring (ABPM) in 1995 and Myocardial Contrast Echocardiography in 1999.
In addition to its five member dedicated Cardiology staff; the Cardiac Diagnostics Laboratory is also manned by three Echocardiography technologists; and three ECG technologists and two well trained nurses in preparation for and assisting in stress test procedures.
Our full time staff is available to serve our large volume of in- and outpatients seven days a week.
Equipment & Services
- Echocardiography: At the forefront of our high performance Lab, we have three top-of-the-range Echocardiography scanners are available with full range of transducers for: adult and pediatric studies; and Trans-Esophageal Echocardiography (TEE), both beside and intra-operative (IOE); digital acquisition Dobutamine Stress Echo (DSE) and Myocardial Contrast Echo Studies.Additionally; the lab has a portable hand-held Echo Scanner (Seimens-Acuson) reserved for urgent bedside studies.
- Stress Testing: Treadmill Stress Test unit (Quinton 4500) or, Supine bicycle ergometry, to rule out Ischemia, either singly or, in association with imaging techniques including Stress Echocardiography (see above), or Nuclear Stress Imaging (see below).
- Nuclear Cardiology Service: Perfusion Imaging using SPECT technique is performed and interpreted by an expert.
- Multislice CT Coronary Angiography: State-of-the-art equipment (Siemens) for routine in-and-out-patient studies
- Electrocardiography: For day to day practice, we have Schiller Electrocardiography monitor/recorders for 12 lead ECG; and pharmacologic stress testing procedures. Additionally, there are two 12 lead ECG units (Siemens) for routine in-and-out-patients studies.
- Hypertension Clinic: Hypertension is the number one disease worldwide; it has grave consequences. Our laboratory has introduced Ambulatory Blood Pressure studies since 1994 and they are performed daily using Oxford ABPM digital oscillometric recorders.
- Non-invasive Electrophysiology and Pacemaker Clinic: Tilt-table testing elucidates the neurogenic contribution in cases of syncopal attacks ambulatory ECG is an integral part of our Lab equipment for the proper diagnosis tachy-and Brady-Arrhytmias.
- PM Clinic follows up all patients with inserted Permanent Pacemakers or Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators.
The cardiac Diagnostics Laboratory which is an integral part of the Cardiology Department is actively engaged in a multitude of activities including the Department’s CME program (see CME); local; national and international scientific activities.
The Jeddah Advances in Echocardiography was held last April 2001 to highlight the presence and future Echocardiography applications with emphasis on myocardial contrast echocardiography (MCE). At JCI 2003, a joint Cardiology Department Symposium on Cardiac Interventions and Cardiac Imaging, the recent applications of Cardiac MRI were highlighted.
The Laboratory has generated several scientific projects of merit; including published abstracts and papers in peer-reviewed journals. The Jeddah Heart Institute has presented original scientific research at the European Society of Cardiology Congress 2002 in Berlin entitled “Dobutamine Stress Myocardial Contrast Echocardiography. Intermittent triggering in real-time era.”, and again this year at the forthcoming ESC Congress in Munich on August 2004. The Jeddah Heart Institute represented by its Cardiac Diagnostics Laboratory is participating with to original scientific papers.
Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
State-of-the-art Cardiac Catheterization Services are active daily from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 PM Saturday through Thursday; and around the clock seven days per week for emergency cases, in order to serve hundreds of patients every year. The latest digital equipment is available to obtain crystal clear cardiac images in order to assist a well trained and experienced team of physicians and technicians to deliver the best care for our cardiac patients. We are proud to have a cath lab team who is second to none in the world. Sincerity and professionalism in a friendly manner characterizes each member of the team.
A variety of diagnostic and interventional techniques (listed below) are practiced daily under controlled conditions with the coronary care unit and cardiac surgery available on the same floor. Emergency mobilization of the cath lab team can be achieved in less than 30 minutes at any time during the day or night to deliver a vast array of diagnostic and interventional cardiovascular services.
Careful selection of catheters, stents, wires and other cath lab equipment, which has the U.S. FDA or CE mark, assures an optimal outcome of management of our patients, the majority of which suffer from advanced cardiac disease. Peripheral balloon angioplasty and stenting as well as coronary interventions are dealt with daily with a success rate that stands to our international reputation.
- Diagnostic coronary & peripheral angiography
- Diagnostic right and left heart catheterization.
- Hemodynamic and Cardiac Output measurements.
- Percutaneous Coronary Balloon Angioplasty.
- Peripheral Balloon Angioplasty & use of peripheral stents
- Radial coronary angiography/PCI
- Utilization of femoral closure devices
- Renal angioplasty and stenting
- The latest version of intravascular stent deployment
- Balloon valvotomy
- Trans-septal Innoue Balloon Mitral Valvotomy
- Artificial pacemaker implantation (Temporary & Permanent)
- Various forms of advanced pacemaker implantation
- Automatic Internal Cardioversion (AICD) Implantation
- Pleuro-pericardial window
Carotid and Renal Angioplasty
Renal angiography and carotid angiography have been the gold standard in diagnosis & evaluating severity of patients suspected to have hemodynamically significant renal and/ or carotid stenosis.
In patients with clinically and hemodynamically significant renal and carotid artery stenosis, balloon angioplasty and stenting have evolved as an effective treatment modality in managing some patients suffering from the disease; with the same or better short and long term outcome as other more invasive surgical techniques.
A large number of renal and carotid angioplasty / stenting have been performed since introduction over the last seven years with excellent results. Team approach with our neurologists, nephrologists & vascular surgeon assures the best outcome for our patients.
With the use of filter wire protection, carotid angioplasty and stenting have been successfully performed with minimal risk for distal embolization.
Intravascular Ultrasound and Doppler Flow Wire
Aiming at better accuracy of diagnosis and decision making in patients with advanced coronary artery disease as well as to assure the best possible outcome from coronary interventional procedures, the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at Dr. Erfan & Bagedo Hospital utilizes two diagnostic modalities that are considered standard medical practice and offer added benefits to our patients when indicated.
Intravascular ultrasound and Doppler flow wire are two diagnostic tools that offer better accuracy in evaluating borderline significant stenotic lesions, better choice of interventional devices and assuring optimal stent deployment in selected cases and therefore decrease the incidence of in-stent restenosis on the long term, with less need for re-interventions.
EECP ( Enhanced External Counter Pulsation)
This is to announce the availability of EECP service for patients with advanced end-stage congestive heart failure and/or atherosclerotic coronary artery disease among other indications. Improvement in symptoms of heart failure and angina has been documented in most patients.
For reservations and booking, please contact JHI Outpatient Reception Ext. 535. This service will take place in room 275 and includes 35 sessions, 1/hour each over 7 weeks.
- Arrhyhmias that interfere with machine triggering
- Bleeding diathesis
- Active thrombophlebitis
- Severe lower extremity vaso-occlusive disease
- Presence of a documented aortic aneurysm
- Patients with blood pressure higher that 180/110 mmHg should be controlled prior to treatment with enhanced external counter pulsation.
- Patients with a heart rate more than 120 bpm should be controlled prior to treatment with enhanced external counter pulsation.
- Patients at high risk of complications from increased venous return should be carefully chosen and monitored during treatment with enhanced external counter pulsation. Decreasing cardiac after load by optimizing diastolic augmentation may help minimize increased cardiac filling pressures due to vanous return.
- Patients with clinically significant valvula disease should be carefully chosen and monitored during treatment with enhanced external counter pulsation. Certain valve conditions, such as significant aortic insufficiency, or severe mitral stenosis, may prevent the patient from obtaining benefit from diastolic augmentation and reduced cardiac after load in the presence of increased venous return
Cardio-Thoracic Surgery Department
Highly specialized Western and European trained and permanent team provides full surgical, medical and nursing support for all adults and pediatric cardio thoracic surgical procedures including:
- Aorto-coronary bypass grafting with saphenous vein and internal mammary
- Off pump coronary bypass grafting
- Thoracic surgical procedures
- Valve repair and replacement.
- Surgery for congenital and rheumatic heart diseases.
- Thoracic vascular surgery.
- Endoscopic saphenous vein & radial artery harvesting
- Thoracic endoscopic including diagnostic & therapeutic rigid bronchoscopy & esophagoscopy
An ultra modern cardio thoracic operating theatre, equipped with laminar flow antibacterial ventilating and cooling system providing germ-free environment, the first of its kind to be installed in the middle fast.
The operating theatres are located on the same floor as the ICU and catheterization laboratory allowing easy transport and progressive post-operative care under the management and supervision of well qualified and trained professionals with excellent ability in cardiac care and resuscitation.
- Consultative care for vascular problems.
- Endovascular intervention
- Angioplasty and stenting of carotid, aortic aneurysms, and Peripheral arteries.
- IVC filters
- Arterial Surgery
- Endarterectomies (removing plaque from arteries)
- Arterial repair
- Aneurysm repair
- Vascular trauma surgery
- Varicose vein specialized center
- Open surgery (stripping, phelobectomy…..)
- Endoscopic surgery of varicose veins.
- Laser photocoagulation of varicosities.
- Foam injection.
- Laser and injection sclerotherapy of small veins.
- Vascular access surgery
- Dialysis access surgery.
- Portacath for chemotherapy.
- Diabetic foot care clinic
- Vacuum dressing machine.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
- Different types of dressing and prosthesis.
About Our Practice
As one of the largest vascular-surgery centers in Jeddah, we pride ourselves
on being competent physicians, caring for all of the diseases that involve the
Circulation. We work closely with referring physicians to provide consultation
On the risk factors for developing vascular disease.
Our practice includes the first noninvasive vascular laboratory in our region.
Our nurses and technicians are well-versed in examining the major clinical
problems of vascular disease, including aneurysms, carotid
Disease, blocked peripheral arteries, and venous disease.
We have also an efficient vascular anesthesia team that allows us to do most
Of cases under regional and local anesthesia without getting risk of general to
Our patients and make most of our cases as a day case and to go home next
We offer vascular consultation at outpatient clinic nearly for 2000 patients /
Year. About 250 vascular and endovascular interventions are done yearly.
We offer to 100 patients yearly with diabetic foot problems a good care in the
Diabetic foot care clinic.
We do from 15-20 sessions of injection sclerotherapy for varicose/Week. Also we do about 70 varicose vein surgeries and laser photocoagulation.
We also have a referral oncology center and we do about 60 Portacath
Access for chemotherapy / year.
The hospital has a big renal dialysis center and we do about 75 temporary and
Permanent haemodilysis access in year.
We participate in most insurance programs offered in our area.
If you’re concerned or have a question about whether your insurance is
Accepted, call Patient Billing at ().
If you have any questions about whether your specific health plan covers our
services, please call the toll-free number on the back of your insurance
Member ID card.
0ur Activities and VisitorsWe do every year our cardiovascular congress at 21-24 April. Discussing the up
Dated issues in vascular field. We select some difficult and rare cases to be done
In our hospital with one of immanent vascular professor in Europe and Arabic
Professor A.Nevelsteen (the head of vascular department in Leuven, Belgium)
Cooperates with us yearly at the congress and doing some vascular challenging
Professor M.Hosney (professor of vascular surgery, Cairo University) also
Shared in some selected cases.
We offer to our patients’ educational lectures and pressures in Arabic and
English language about vascular disease, varicose veins treatment and for
Diabetic foot care.
CCU / ICU Department
Jeddah Heart Institute, with 21 bed capacity offers a full range of innovative services with the use of sophisticated biomedical equipments. From the inception of ICU-CCU till today it made some tremendous leap forwards modernization and will keep doing so to provide the ideal medical care.
Up to date equipments have become rudimentary in necessity for nurses in the new setting like the use of seimens ventilator 300-A; infusion pumps (PCA), BIPAP machine STD-30 (Ventilatory support); 2 CRRT (Continuous Renal Replacement Therapy PRISMA, DIAPACT), IABP (Intra Aortic Balloon Pump).
The complexities of treating Cardiac cases like pre/post Cardiac Cath/ PTCA stenting & ballooning, acute myocardial infraction, cardiogenic shock, heart failure, pre & post care of cardiac surgeries (CABG, valve replacement and repair) with the use of inotropes, thrombolytic agents such as streptokinase, TPA, aggrastat, reopro and invasive hemodynamic monitoring like the swan ganz, arterial BP and ICP (Intracranial pressure monitoring.
We are also admitting non-cardiac cases like the acute renal failure, strokes, respiratory failure, septic shock MODS (multi-organ dysfunction syndrome), drugs/alcohol intoxication & received the utmost care.
For career advancement, nurses are conducting a weekly continuous education program and attending conferences concerning relatively cases in cardiac, pulmonology, nephrology & neurology sponsored by medical representatives & conducted by highly qualifies foreign lecturers.
As the care progressed, the administration is preparing a new ICU-CCU expansion ( 12 beds ) that will reflect the highest involvement in the most advanced state of the art of medical technology in an atmosphere that never lose sight of the humanistic side of health cases.
Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
The CPR Center is directed by the Head of the Jeddah Heart Institute, Dr. Hoda El-Khateeb and chaired by Dr. Salama Omar Hussein.
The Center Staff consist of 3 Basic Life Support Instructors Trainers and 10 Basic Life Support Instructors who maintain valid practice licenses with the Saudi Heart Association (SHA), 8 ACLS instructors.
The EBH CPR center is accredited by the Saudi Heart Association (SHA) as a training center for Basic Life Support (BLS) for medical and non-medical persons as well as a Center to Train Instructor Trainers.
The CPR Center has to maintain registration with SHA to certify BLS providers and Instructor Trainers.
The SHA helps to maintain the quality of the CPR programs provided. The compliance of the CPR Center to SHA requirements is the responsibility of the CPR Committee.
Courses Provided by the CPR Center:
- Basic Life Support Instructors Course
- Basic Life Support Provider
- Heart Saver Plus
- Heart Saver
- Life Saver for Families & Friends
- Advanced cardiac life-support
- All courses are offered for our staff and also for medical staff from other medical facilities.
- Courses can be provided for members of the public, medical and nursing staff from external sources for further information you may contact the CPR Coordinator (Ms. Guilian) at extension # 399 or 549.
All staff must renew their Life Support Certificates every 2 years and are given regular resuscitation training appropriate to their expected abilities roles and job expectations. Staff are trained to recognized patients at risk of cardiopulmonary arrest (using the early warning scoring system), as an important component of improving survival in critical illness.
In addition to the courses provided by the CPR Center, the CPR committee is responsible for implementing operational policies governing cardiopulmonary resuscitation, practice and training. It determines the level of resuscitation training required by individual staff members. (ACLS, NALS/P ALS, A TLS, FCCS)
The following services are available:
- Out patient pediatric Cardiology Clinic
- Non-invasive diagnostic investigations for pediatric patients as:12 leads ECG.
Fetal Echo cardiography
- Invasive pediatric investigation/as diagnostic & intervention cardiac catheterization.
- New service pacemaker implantation for Congenital Complete Heart black.
- MRI Cardiology for Congenital Heart Disease.